Brig. Gen. Mark Weber is the Chief of Staff for the Montana Air National Guard. He is also dual-hatted as Assistant to the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
As Air Mobility Command’s sole numbered air force, 18th Air Force ensures readiness and sustainment of approximately 36,000 active duty, Air Force Reserve and civilian Airmen at 12 wings and one stand-alone group. With more than 400 aircraft, 18th AF supports AMC’s worldwide mission of providing rapid global mobility to America’s armed forces through airlift, aerial refueling and aeromedical evacuation.
As Chief of Staff for the Montana Air National Guard, he serves as the primary advisor to the Adjutant General for all matters pertaining to the Montana Air National Guard. General Weber’s responsibilities include molding the Montana J-Staff to respond to federal or state contingencies, and to incorporate all respective elements of the Montana National Guard Interagency functions and governmental agencies as appropriate. He also assists the Adjutant General in administering approved National Guard policies, directives, regulations and agreements. General Weber assists the Adjutant General – Air with maintaining the combat readiness of the Montana Air National Guard in the event of an order to active duty for national or state emergencies.
Brigadier General Weber commissioned through the Air National Guard’s Academy of Military Science, Officer Training Program, at McGhee- Tyson Air Base, Knoxville, Tennessee in April 1992. He earned his pilot wings from the Undergraduate Pilot Training program at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas. He was a distinguished graduate in the B-1B and E-8C initial qualification programs. Over his career, Brigadier General Weber has gained command experience serving in diverse leadership capacities at the squadron, group, wing, and state level. His aviation career includes more than 3,900 flying hours in a variety of aircraft. He has flown combat and support operations in support of Operation’s PROVIDE PROMISE, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and NEW DAWN.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Financial Management, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C. 1999 Squadron Officer School, correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort McNair, D.C.
2014 Joint Task Force Commanders Course, USNORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2015 Dual Status Commander Certification Program, USNORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Joint Combined Warfighter School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. April 1992 - April 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. April 1993 - August 1993, C-130E Basic and Tactical Airdrop School, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. August 1993 - September 1995, C-130H Copilot, 164th Airlift Squadron, Mansfield, Ohio
4. October 1995 - June 1996, C-130H Copilot, 158th Airlift Squadron, Savannah, Ga.
5. July 1996 - September 2002, Evaluator Pilot, 128th Bomb Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
6. August 2002 - November 2002, Commander, 416th Expeditionary Operational Support Flight, Southwest Asia
7. November 2002 - January 2005, Assistant Director of Operations, E-8C Instructor Pilot, 12th Airborne Command and Control Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. July 2004 - September 2004, Director of Operations, 12th Expeditionary Air Command and Control Squadron, Southwest Asia
9. January 2005 - July 2007, Chief, Standardization and Evaluation, 116th Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
10. August 2007 - May 2010, Commander, 116th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
11. May 2010 - October 2010, Deputy Commander, 116th Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. November 2010 - November 2011, Commander, 745th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. December 2011 - September 2012, Deputy Commander, 116th Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
14. September 2012 - April 2014, Commander, 116th Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
15. April 2014 - June 2015, Chief of the Joint Staff, Georgia Department of Defense, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
16. July 2015 - July 2017, Commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
17. July 2017 – April 2018, Director of Operations, Georgia Air National Guard, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
18. April 2018 – Present, Chief of Staff, Montana Air National Guard, Fort Harrison, Mont.
19. April 2019 – Present, Assistant to the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,900 with over 600 combat hours Aircraft: B-1B, C-130E/H, E-8C, RC-26B, T-38, T-37, T-41
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, April 1992
First Lieutenant, May 1994
Captain, May 1996
Major, March 2001
Lieutenant Colonel, June 2006
Colonel, September 2012
Brigadier General, April 2018
(Current as of April 2019)