Brig. Gen. Thomas J. Kennett is the Assistant Adjutant General – Air, North Carolina National Guard and Commander, North Carolina Air National Guard. He is also dual-hatted as Assistant to the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
As Air Mobility Command's sole warfighting numbered air force, 18th Air Force is responsible for the command's worldwide operational mission of providing rapid, global mobility and sustainment for America's armed forces through airlift, aerial refueling, aeromedical evacuation, and contingency response. With more than 39,000 active-duty Airmen, Reservists and civilians and approximately 1,100 aircraft, the 18th Air Force manages the global air mobility enterprise through the 618th Air Operations Center, 12 wings and one stand-alone group.
As Assistant Adjutant General-Air, He is the primary advisor to the Adjutant General on all programs, strategic planning and operations affecting the North Carolina Air National Guard. He also serves as the Commander, North Carolina Air National Guard, where he has command and control responsibility of more than 1,500 personnel in 23 units assigned to the North Carolina Air National Guard.
Brig. Gen. Kennett received his commission in January 1987 as a graduate of the Officer Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, and received his pilot training from Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, in December 1987. He is a command pilot with over 5,000 flying hours in T-38, KC-135A, KC-135R, KC-135RT, C-17, C-5, C-141, MD-11 & Boeing 727 aircraft. Brig. Gen. Kennett served in an activated status for 12 months during Operation Enduring Freedom and was the ANG Advisor to the Commander, Air Mobility Command. In addition, he is an MD-11 Captain for FedEx. Before his appointment as Assistant Adjutant General, Brig. Gen. Kennett was the Chief of Staff-Air for the Tennessee Joint Force Headquarters, Nashville, Tennessee.
1985 Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, Ark.
1993 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Masters of Arts in Computer Information Management, Webster University, St Louis, Mo.
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
1. January 1987 – December 1987, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. December 1987 - July 1991, T-38 Instructor Pilot, 86th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. September 1991 - June 1994, KC-135 Instructor Pilot and Executive Officer to the Commander, 712th Air Refueling Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
4. June 1994 - July 1995, MAJCOM Chief, Regional Operations, 618th Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. July 1995 – October 1996, Air Mobility Command Test Manager, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. October 1996 - November 1999, C-5 Flight Examiner, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 22nd Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
7. February 1997 – April 1999, Air Force One Advance Agent, Travis AFB, Calif.
8. November 1999 – January 2001, Chief, C-5 Pilot Evaluator, 15th Air Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
9. January 2001- May 2004, C-141 Evaluator Pilot, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis, Tenn.
10. May 2004 - September 2004, C-141 Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 164th Operations Group, Memphis, Tenn.
11. September 2004 – August 2006, Operations Officer, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis, Tenn.
12. August 2006 – September 2008, Commander, 164th Operations Group, Memphis, Tenn.
13. September 2008 – April 2011, Air National Guard Advisor to the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
14. April 2011 - January 2014, Air National Guard Advisor to the AMC Commander, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
15. January 2014 – January 2015, Vice Wing Commander, 164th Airlift Wing, Memphis Tenn.
16. February 2015 – April 2017, Chief of Staff-Air, Joint Force Headquarters, Nashville, Tenn.
17. April 2017 – Present, – Assistant Adjutant General – Air, North Carolina Air National Guard, Raleigh, North Carolina; also, Assistant to the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 5000+
Aircraft: T-38, KC-135, C-17, C-5, C-141, MD-11, and Boeing 727
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with oak leaf cluster
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Short
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Tennessee National Guard War Service Ribbon
Tennessee National Guard Service Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
MD-11 Captain for FedEx
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant January 16, 1987
First Lieutenant January 16, 1989
Captain January 16, 1991
Major September 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel January 10, 2004
Colonel April 29, 2008
Brigadier General January 28, 2015
(Current as of July 2017)